Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3Ds Max 2013 IBL + Hiden features

Hi Guys,

here a Demoscene that work in 3dsmax2013.

http://www.infinity-vision.de/upload...3dsmax2013.zip

PS: only the Script from Artur or I am donīt work. You need the right Lightmode Value "4" in your Shaders. I use for this Shader Utilities.

mfg
    thorsten
    Last edited by thorsten hartmann; May 24th, 2012 at 14:51.

It works only with promaterials. Even if i set the lightmode to 4 in the mia_material it doesn't work.

Hi Thorsten,
    I just tested it and it worked with the Pro materials you have in your scene.

1.jpg

Then I tried to replace the ground material with a basic matte A&D and it worked (the ground plane still receives transparent shadows)

2.jpg

And finally I replaced the material of the front teapot with the same A&D material as on the ground. And the shadow is gone. (I also did a test with semi-transparent A&D mat and it behaves the same way).

3.jpg

So the problem is in shadow casting, not shadow receiving in the A&D material. I haven't tried your Shader Utilities with this yet, but this is strange anyway, because I did the same in 2012 and it worked (setting the light mode using Artur's script and then using Render optimizer). I also checked the mi files and the value is there properly set to "4"

Be sure this is reported despite not being supported. Also good that it is here.

Apparently once logged it can still be fixed. This appears to be the case for Maya at least. Also, you will see that nVidia released fixes to the PTex materials in the Maya thread outside of Autodesk.

You're being heard.
    "Don't let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance."

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

http://elementalray.wordpress.com/

Hello everyone, can native IBL behave the same way as the "old" one (with skylight object and FG). The problem i'm having is that anything that is viewed from below gets no lighting at all.

Standard IBL with FG and skylight bottom surfaces of objects get bounced light:

standardibl.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img685/6518/standardibl.jpg

But with native IBL they are completely black:

nativeibl.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img19/8513/nativeibl.jpg

Yes, i changed light mode in A&D material, ground plane that is illuminated with native IBL proves that it works (everything in the scene has the same material applied).

Can we simulate bounced light with native IBL, or is it actually not designed to work in that way (just studio setup kinda stuff)?
    I'm using Max 2013 with Thorsten Hartmanns Render Optimizer.

Thanks in advance!

You need FG combined with native IBL if you want bounce light...
    IBL is not a GI technic, it's "just" a brute force method to sample light sources...

Quote Originally Posted by Braiz View Post
    You need FG combined with native IBL if you want bounce light...
    I see that is exactly what you used with your Bugatti. What workflow do you recommend? Do you just turn on FG with native IBL and let them go together? But in that case FG sees just the objects in the scene, not the environment, right?

In the case you are refering to, yes... IBL takes care of primary rays and FG will take of secondary bounces...
    FG can't sample the env. Only physical lights (standard, photmetric, sun etc.) and skylights.

Quote Originally Posted by Braiz View Post
    In the case you are refering to, yes... IBL takes care of primary rays and FG will take of secondary bounces...
    FG can't sample the env.
    Exactly, so if i'm getting this right - native IBL is great for renders with a single object of interest, like studio renders or car renders. But for environment renders, not so much.
    Looking up under a bridge, with only native IBL, everything is black. FG can be turned on but it samples only the geometry in the scene resulting in incorrect bounced light regarding the environment.