Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3Ds Max 2013 IBL + Hiden features

Default 3Ds Max 2013 IBL + Hiden features

Heya

Right Im trying to get the IBL to work but it seems I do something wrong .This is how I do it.

Create omni - disable it
    Create environment environment/background switcher > I put bitmpa inside it with my HDRI
    I disable GI

I hit render - render black.

How do I make it to work ?

Also where can I unlock all the hidden features, I remember max got quite a lot of them like it was back in 2008...

Thanks, bye.

Hi,
    you need to use either FG with a skylight (that's the old way of doing it but still useful - but unless you have very high FG settings you won't get nice crisp shadows). The other way is to use the native IBL. This is a hidden feature in 3ds max and you acces it via mental ray string options. Or you can use a script like the one by Thorsten Hartmann -mrOptimizer. There you have all the hidden features (except for the ones introduces in mr 3.10). With the native IBL enabled you just plug your hdr into the enviroment slot, disable the default lights by adding and disabling some light. Then you just hit render, no need for any skylight or FG.

Hi,
    I've been trying ibl in 2013 and whenever i use the light IBL mode and transparent shadow mode there is no shadows from environment map, but the same file with the same configuration works fine in max 2012. Anyone has been experiencing this?

Hi,
    yes, exactly the same happens for me. Everything works in max 2012 but in 2013 the transparent shadow mode produces no shadows. It works only with solid shadow mode.

Hi Guys,

i have test it, and it works here, no Problems. I use Render Optimizer V2.

chees
    thorsten
    Last edited by thorsten hartmann; May 24th, 2012 at 13:50.

we have the same problem with user_ibl in xsi, no shadows in transparent shadow mode.
    funny thing is that the shadow rays are rendering. statistics shows that and also rendertime is as high as with opaque shadows, but they are not in the image.
    the older ibl renders with shadows also in xsi2013.

I have set it properly using the script from Arthur Leao. It looks correct (not dark like with wrong light mode) only the shadows are missing. I tried to get it working on two computers, either using Render optimizer or Arthur's script and it doesn't work. But as Kzin noted the shadow rays are cast according to the statistics.

@Thorsten Hartman:
    I'm using your render optimizer already, and it still doesn't work.