Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iRay for Maya 2013

But where did you find the iray 2.0 dlls ?
    If you're using the one you had with maya 2012, you don't have any upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by MiniZun View Post
    But where did you find the iray 2.0 dlls ?
    If you're using the one you had with maya 2012, you don't have any upgrade
    iray .dlls (or .so) are only included with software that ships with iray integrated. You would need to get them from a product you own that has them, like 3ds Max.

I am currently more interested in getting IPR working with progressive and Unified Sampling although that may solve both issues if using iray in Maya 2013.

But I am not completely convinced iray is necessarily the complete solution for everyone despite the fervor to obtain it. I would be curious to know the industry of everyone asking for it. Animation/vfx/arch viz, etc.
    "Don't let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance."

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

http://elementalray.wordpress.com/

Why does Autodesk make the choice to not intergrate iray? Cory Mogk, why isn't this in Maya by now?

As an automotive design user, making image, films, and realtime reviews.
    We mainly focus on unbiased or "tend to look like", raytracing rules supreme over this area, rarely cartoon rendering exceting to express some contour.
    We also make post production Fusion / AE, and a lot of maya programming )

So what is my feel about Iray bonus vs mr :

+ it is 6 times faster than mr ( even challenging with mr latest progressive / unifed / native )
    + it is a unique opportunity to handle same shaders for "realtime" and film rendering.
    + emittor materials is efficient for interior light rendering, all lights simulations in general.
    + can live with mr and complete each other ( no need to completely change your mr pipeline to benefit if using ray.exe ) ( for the moment )
    + experiencing iray realtime framework make IPR an old "souvenir"

So for rendering usage, i would say highend still images, film and car integrations, it looks to be the future of mr for our usage ( i agree it is really specific to automotive design ).
    To achieve the work, it must handle production shaders like matte shadows and motionblur, layer materials.
    Migrating from mr to iray also need a little investments on both CPU and GPU farms, to ensure things uncovered by iray can run on mr ... so we build hybrid farm including Tesla which is quite an expensive migration.

For realtime usage, i would say "visualizing while working", iray is not as fast and fine to compete GL applications like showcase or patchwork, modeling reviews often do not care with that much with raytracing, only final communication slides could benefit to iray ( but you will face the big challenge of emulating properly GL materials into unbiased materials, someting Lumiscaphe is doing quite well ).
    For Color and Trim usage, working on design trims intentions the benefit of iray in realtime workshop is somehow limited, where progressive raytracing can even deserve fine UV placement, fine material tuning ( bump / quick re-texturing ).This technology is not for working but for rendering ...

hoping i am not just bringing sand to the beach ...
    Last edited by shangu; April 20th, 2012 at 00:18.
    Visualization Team | Digital Rendering Process
    Renault Design

@SunDevil

I had a meeting with Cory last automn with some Film Studio invited, was the only one for Automotiv
    I claim a lot to Cory about this, i understand maya is targeting the "traditional" film CG pipeline where iray would not make sense ( multi pass shader ), but Arnold make this quite well as an unbiased renderer.

Autodesk marketing is a wall.
    Last edited by shangu; April 20th, 2012 at 00:26.
    Renault Design

Quote Originally Posted by shangu
    but Arnold make this quite well as an unbiased renderer.
    Yes but Arnold is designed specifically for VFX and in doing so cuts a lot of corners like lowering precision and more to suit that field. For product visualization or arch viz it would be a rather limited and clunky solution. (Indirectly lighting an interior for example isn't easy in Arnold) It's also not implemented for GPUs and doesn't appear to be their desire to maintain the code necessary to do that. But it can also render lots of fur/hair, textures and volumetrics geared for VFX. I think that distinction should be made clear because the features don't truly overlap right now.

The 'why not in Maya', think of it like this:

Autodesk prefers certain packages for different industries, like Max and design for example.
    nVidia prefers Quadro over GTX for high-end computational rendering.

It's a similar thought process where solutions are made based on a core audience.

As for Cory Mogk, I'm very certain he's gotten an earful over iray integration, most of which on his own Area blog post announcing Maya 2013. You can find some comments there.

Sidenote: the iray integration framework could make many of these things available to you now with some developer investment. You can find it here: http://www.mentalimages.com/products...framework.html

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

Thanks.

Most of the automotiv industry from team i know are using maya not 3ds Max.
    For multiple reasons, some use RTT which is connected to maya for some parts, some are using showcase
    and maya via FBx to complete animations, some other like us are building complete process tools based on maya.
    I don't see 3ds max handling our automated process.
    If you talk about processing your pipeline which is what industry is doing, you won't go to 3ds.

that said, I cross fingers.
    Renault Design

Delta Gen exports in and out of Maya easily is why that goes to Maya. Also for the reasons you said, automation. We use Bunkspeed here (iray through neuray) but the heavy lifting is mental ray because we can use mental ray's flexibility where iray doesn't have any, yet.

But we are working with nVidia to get those features to iray. Maybe by the time integration hits it will have the features we need. Working from both ends hopefully it will be at the same time if not sooner.

(For now user_ibl_env with Unified Sampling gives us 22 minute 3k frames. )

Hi shader writers,

I was trying to use iray "Iray_illumination_clear_coat.msl" shader into maya ( using load backend_llmv to compile ).
    But i didn't succeed, Assignement render black ! such thing can be supported ?

Can someome help me to track down the problem.

// MI ----------------------------------
    min version "3.5.0"
    max version "3.10.99"

$include "Iray_illumination_clear_coat.msl"

declare phenomenon color "Iray_illumination_clear_coat_phen" (

color "base_color" default 0.5 0.5 0.5,
    color "clear_coat_refl_color" default 1.0 1.0 1.0,
    scalar "clear_coat_ior" default 2.5 )
    version 2

shader "shd" "Iray_illumination_clear_coat" (
    "color" = interface "base_color"
    "color" = interface "clear_coat_refl_color"
    "scalar" = interface "clear_coat_ior"
    )
    root = "shd"
    apply material
    end declare
    // MSL --------------------
    shader Iray_illumination_clear_coat
    {
    input:
    Color base_color = Color(0,0,0,1)
    {
    display_name("Base color");
    soft_range(Color(0,0,0,0),Color(1,1,1,1));
    description( "The Base Color." );
    };
    Color clear_coat_refl_color = Color(1,1,1,1)
    {
    display_name("Clearcoat Color");
    soft_range(Color(0,0,0,0),Color(1,1,1,1));
    description( "The reflection color of the clear coat layer." );
    };
    float clear_coat_ior = 2.5
    {
    display_name("Clearcoat IOR");
    soft_range(1.0,10.0);
    description("Index of refraction of the clear coat layer." );
    };

output:
    Color result;

void main()
    {
    result = base_color;
    }
    };
    Last edited by shangu; May 10th, 2012 at 22:59.
    Renault Design