Well this is my first post in the mental images forum. I have some experience using mental ray but surely not as many very experienced users I've seen while lurking the forums. So hope to learn something from you!
Ok I am currently lighting a scene I modeled some time ago and I am facing some anti-aliasing/lighting artifacts problems in my test renders.
So yes I will like to achieve a smooth render..
Here is my test render image:
and here a render test with a quick touchup in PS to give an idea of the mood I want to achieve. (hard sun hitting) with darker foreground.
Also here is an image where you can see my scene and how the lights are positioned.
and lastly an image showing my render settings (with a "hidden" question!)
So then I guess my questions would be:
1) how can I get rid of those lighting artifacts to get a clean render. (this is intended to be a still frame, which I am thinking to transform into a moving matte painting.
2) In the render picture it shows, trace deph inside "indirect illumination" tab and also the "render" tab what is the difference between both? Is one more important than the other?
3) When I use the Sibl plugin I noticed that the images rendered look washed out until I disable the camera lens "Sibl lens node" that creates with the lighting rig. I have my gamma settings set to input/output (2.2) And I am not working with a comp package for this one. Only photoshop. Can someone please explain me this. I am not sure if I should leave the "sibl lens" and adjust gamma in PS or simply remove it.
4) I realized that then I add a portal light in front of the scene (in front of the Mr Sun) it does render as a "black square" does someone have any idea why is this?
5) I am having some confusing regarding IBL and mental ray. Is "Sibl" method from hdrlabs same
as IBL mode in mental ray? I saw an IBL tutorial from throsten hartmann and I am not sure
what is the correct approach to IBL I should be using in MR. Hope you can clarify me this blur.
I thank you in advanced for your help.
Hopefully I can get this issues clarified and keep working.