Thread: IBL + 3d motion blur in 3ds max 2012

Default IBL + 3d motion blur in 3ds max 2012

Hi guys... I don't know whether this is a thread better posted on the autodesk support forum. But here goes

Apprently IBL & 3d motionblur do not go well together. My rendertimes explodes by roughly
    80%... I'm rendering radial 3d motion blur on the wheels & rims of a car.
    I've been using an hdr at 14000x7000 px.
    Whenever I drop the IBL method and use eg. skylight + FG, the renders completes in no time...

I've also tried the Median Cut algorithm, but unfortunately it generates an error everytime I try to execute the plugin in HDR shop. As of now, I'm almost left with no other choise but to use vray IBL + 3d motion blur, since it is fast and paintless. Although the quality of the vray motion blur is not quite on par with mr...

But, perhaps I'm just doing things wrong, and therfore any help/tips & tricks on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas

ibl is a brute force method that deliver detailed shading, so its indeed slower then normal skylight and fg.
    you can try the unified sampling because you need lower quality for ibl with this sampling method, at least with alot of motion blur.
    but at first you could try to lower the quality in your actual rendering. also, try to render the parts with alot of mb seperately with lower ibl quality settings.

So we kind of brake up the rendering into MB elements and non MB elements.

I've actually already tried the Unified sampling method and it did give me a slight improvement in terms of render speed.

So far I've used Thorstens IBL script together with his 3d Motion blur workflow.
    My IBL settings: 256 for resolution, 320 for samples and 1 for quality, with Light caching enabled, and light mode set to light.