Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iRay 2.0 shipped with 3DS Max Design 2012 ServicePack 2 is TWO TIMES SLOWER!

Exclamation iRay 2.0 shipped with 3DS Max Design 2012 ServicePack 2 is TWO TIMES SLOWER!

Hello Dear Friends,

Today I installed 3ds Max Design 2012 SP2.

Before it I did test renders with iRay, and then I did it after Service Pack 2 install.

According to my test, the new iRay is TWO or MORE times SLOWER than iRay shipped with 3ds Max Design 2012.

I did several tests, and I uninstalled SP2.

What's going on????
    kcpr raffaEl,
    iRay BLOG & Portfolio: www.rendergarden.org/en
    see my iRay Gallery in this forum

Awesome, right?

Did you noticed the same?
    kcpr raffaEl,

One could only assume that it's gonna be even worse inside Active shade

Quote Originally Posted by kcpr.pl View Post
    Did you noticed the same?
    Yes, indeed i did

Hey, Mental Images or Nvidia guys!

Do you have something to say?
    kcpr raffaEl,

Are the error threshold settings exposed in Max?

As mentioned in another thread, I have been using Error Threshold as a quality parameter. This means my render stops earlier than previous versions based on a desired quality.

If Max just exposes time and/or passes then what was mentioned here: http://forum.mentalimages.com/showth...5853#post35853 would make sense on my observation of speed.
    "Don't let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance."

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

http://elementalray.wordpress.com/

Sidenote: This is a change in behavior of the software. If it does indeed converge faster than before then you may want to ask for better exposure of the quality parameters as opposed to just time and passes.

This negative reaction by the users to the change in behavior upon release may also be cause for them to be more reticent about exposing changes in the future. If it requires a change in operation or expectation by the user and this is the result, AD is much more likely to desire the status quo to avoid annoying users and or having a massive increase in Support Requests.

Just something to think about. . . .
    "Don't let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance."

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you over the head with experience."

http://elementalray.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kcpr.pl View Post
    Hey, Mental Images or Nvidia guys!
    Do you have something to say?
    Well, it is hard to say without having more information.

How do you measure speed of iray ?

For us, the main performance criteria for iray is the overall time to converge to a desired quality. That is not the same as the time it takes to render a fixed number of frames, which some people use as a speed measure. Preferably, you should use the error threshold end criterion in your comparison experiments.

The reason is, the more features iray is supporting, like improved importance sampling or advanced material support, the more time is spent to render a single frame. Obviously, summing up frame times would end up in longer time compared to a previous version. This ignores the fact that iray is able to converge faster to a comparable result requiring less frames to finish.

What GPU model are you using ?

The iray rendering takes most advantage of modern GPU models, like NVIDIA Fermi cards, because the code is specifically optimized for current hardware and drivers. Most older cards and drivers are continued to be supported but may not show the same performance improvements with iray.

Hope this helps. Best, Steve.
    Last edited by steve; September 27th, 2011 at 14:32. Reason: typo

Hi Steve,

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autod...o-times-slower

Check out this thread, there are some practical examples of iRay 2.0 worse performance and efficiency.