Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: nVidia and mental images...?

Default nVidia and mental images...?

"Best known for mental ray – the most widely used rendering software within industry leading design and animation tools"... Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Thats a very distant history

"most widely used rendering software within industry leading design and animation tools" It's probably true. mental ray ships with more 3d packages than other renderers. Not just Autodesk.

As a Maya user, I think we'd all benefit if the trend towards decoupling the renderer from the main app continues, and we start treating the renderer as an output device, like a printer.

Can't agree more.

Hey guys.

Could the forum devs please clarify what this post by Phillip Miller actually means. i.e. translate it from the bullshit marketing crap into actual text that holds meaning for us?

Many thanks,

Richard

OK, let me clarify – yes, we’ve just gone through a reorganization, and are now combined with other professional software teams within NVIDIA. There have been staff reductions, but most were due to overlapping disciplines and some priority shifts. At the same time, teams on core technologies like mental ray, iray and cloud rendering have staffed-up by a fair bit. All the development managers are in place, and are now working closely with their peers within NVIDIA. The truth is, that being “independent” from NVIDIA has kept us from leveraging some serious resources and know-how there (and vice versa).We will now take full advantage. Things are changing here – but we think you’re going to like the results.
    Barton Gawboy
    Training and Special Projects, NVIDIA ARC
    LAmrUG Forum Originator

I hope one of things we are going to "like" won't be privilege of Quadro cards. That would just pour more oil into the flames.

mental ray is flexible. If you want to use GPU you can, if you want to use CPU you can. If you want to use a more brute force path tracing model, you can, or you can use a variety of shaders together with unified sampling to get a compromise between approximating and brute force, custom and off-the-shelf, while getting your user framebuffers too.

Not saying we don't have work to do to expose this so that it is easier for the artist to setup and use. Hopefully, our growing interaction with you and others proves our commitment to improving that.
    Barton Gawboy
    Training and Special Projects, NVIDIA ARC
    LAmrUG Forum Originator

I will email you as soon as i get time to compose some meaningful mail. But i would share some thoughts already here.

First of all, i am not aware of any ability of GPU usage in Mental Ray yet. I do not consider iRay part of Mental Ray, but rather a separate renderer.

When we talk about mental ray, there is currently no usable form of pathtracing solution inside mental ray. Brute force FG has 0 optimization and is extremely, i mean extremely slow. Modo renderer pathtracing solution is for example multiple times faster. Irradiance Particles with disabled interpolation are useless since they cannot get through transparent/refractive surfaces.

Remydrh spoke about a new nice robust system combining unified sampling, bsdf materials, Importons + IP and IBL, which is supposed to work together very nicely and create a whole new, better, faster and more accurate workflow.

Let's face the facts: In 3ds Max, none of these features are actually officially implemented and exposed in UI. In other packages, only parts of this solution are exposed, and in many cases improperly implemented and only partially working, or not performing the way they should.

It gives me impression, that there is almost no cooperation between MI and Autodesk at all. That MI just throws Autodesk recent MR core and let them kick it around.

Another thing that confuses me even more, is that you (MI Staff) have no clear idea about how MR is actually implemented in these packages. I wonder when you Bart, are assigned to 3ds Max section of this forum, ask me question about MR in 3ds Max. You do not seem to have installed it or used it at all. You do not seem to have much of a clue about the conditions of MR implementation in 3ds Max. You had to render the classroom scene i posted using MI file. That only confirms my suspicion. How are you supposed to help me with 3ds Max related problems when you probably haven't even seen 3ds Max implementation of MR and have not used MR inside 3ds Max?

Please do not take this as an offense. I am honestly asking, because i am really interested in the answer.
    Last edited by rawalanche; May 26th, 2011 at 22:48.

Quote Originally Posted by rawalanche View Post
    Let's face the facts: In 3ds Max, none of these features are actually officially implemented and exposed in UI. In other packages, only parts of this solution are exposed, and in many cases improperly implemented and only partially working, or not performing the way they should.
    max implementation is a bad joke. lots of missing shadernodes, rasterizer is not able to output framebuffer, no MAP format support just to name a few. had to work with max mental ray for my last job and it was a nightmare compared to xsi's mr integration for example (but there is also alot of room for improvements of mr intergration in xsi).